Mr. Murgia-Díaz joined PMA’s Litigation Practice Group in 2010. He regularly represents clients in federal and state courts, arbitrations and administrative proceedings, and has handled a wide range of matters, including securities, copyright, trademark infringement, banking, breach of contract, constitutional law, construction, distribution, employment, environmental law, health, insurance, and telecommunication. In addition to representing clients in general business litigation matters, Mr. Murgia-Díaz regularly advises clients on the regulatory aspects of the Department of Consumer Affairs of Puerto Rico and represents them in adjudicative proceedings before the agency.
Before joining PMA, Mr. Murgia-Díaz worked at the Department of Consumer Affairs of Puerto Rico, where he served as a Legal Advisor to the Secretary. Mr. Murgia-Díaz also worked as an Attorney for the General Litigation Division of the Puerto Rico Justice Department. There, he litigated a wide array of cases in federal and state courts involving areas such as constitutional, administrative, tax, labor and employment law, medical malpractice, contractual disputes and torts.
- Banco Popular de Puerto Rico v. All Engineering Services Corp., JCD2013-0524: Mr. Murgia-Díaz obtained a summary judgment in favor of plaintiff in excess of $18.5 million.
- Banco Popular de Puerto Rico v. Midway Service Station, Inc., ISCI201300943: Mr. Murgia-Díaz obtained a summary judgment in favor of plaintiff in excess of in $7.2 million.
- Municipality of Culebra v. The Special Communities Perpetual Trust, et al., NSCI200700809: Mr. Murgia-Díaz obtained dismissal on summary judgment of claims seeking over $4.6 million in compensatory damages for breach of contract, and subsequently obtained $1.6 million summary judgment on the Trust’s counterclaims for breach of contract.
- Justo L González-Trápaga v.Mayagüez Medical Center Dr. Ramón Emeterio Betances, Inc., et al., 2016 WL 1261056 (D.P.R. 2016): dismissal of claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and 42 U.S.C. § 1395dd(d)(2)(A) seeking compensatory damages of $500,000.
- CRC Contractors, S.E. v. Gardan Development, Corp., et al., 2011 WL 1483742 (P.R. Ct. App. 2011): obtained dismissal of claim against bank seeking $1.1 million in compensatory damages.
- Other Published Cases:
- Banco Popular de Puerto Rico v. All Engineering Services Corp., 2015 WL 1303418 (P.R. Ct. App. 2015).
- Ayala Carrillo v. Municipio de Culebra, 2014 WL 894404 (P.R. Ct. App. 2014).
- Stewart v. Husqvarna Construction Products North America, Inc., 2012 WL 1590284 (D.P.R. 2012).
- APR Alarms, Corp. v. Treasure Point Corporation, 2011 WL 4020852 (P.R. Ct. App. 2011).