Mr. Marrero advises banks, corporations, financial holding companies, international financial entities, investment companies and advisers, private equity funds, securities broker-dealers and other financial institutions in banking, corporate, M&A, investment company, and securities law matters. He has represented corporate clients in registered securities offerings, private placements, commercial lending and other transactions. He has also represented clients in licensing and other compliance matters before government and regulatory agencies.
Mr. Marrero, who has been recognized as a Leader in the Corporate Law Field by the Chambers & Partners Global Guide and the Chambers & Partners Latin America Guide, authored the Chamber’s Legal Practice Guide Corporate M&A 2015 – Puerto Rico Trends & Developments. He also advises and represents clients on trademark law matters before the Puerto Rico Trademark Office, and is a former member of the United States & Canada Subcommittee of the International Trademark Association Bulletin Law & Practice Committee.
He has participated as speaker at several conferences and panels:
- October 2002 — He prepared and participated in a conference sponsored by the Puerto Rico Bankers Association regarding the passage of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- October 2007 — He served on the securities law panel at the Hispanic National Bar Association’s annual meeting in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and discussed U.S. Supreme Court decisions on pleading standards in private securities litigation, as well as developments on primary and secondary liability for securities fraud.
- April 2011 — He served on a panel at the Lex Mundi North America Regional Conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and discussed corporate governance and executive compensation developments in light of the Dodd-Frank Act.
- August 2011 — He was a guest speaker at an intellectual property seminar for accountants held at the Puerto Rico Society of Certified Public Accountants and discussed important aspects of federal and Puerto Rico trademark laws.
- April 2012 — He was a guest speaker at the IX Annual Financial Institutions Forum of the Puerto Rico Society of Certified Public Accountants, discussing recent developments under the Dodd-Frank Act.
- September 2012 — He was a guest speaker at a meeting of the Human Resources Committee of the Puerto Rico Bankers Association, where he discussed recent developments on executive compensation under the Dodd-Frank Act.
- May 2015 — He was a guest speaker at a networking event called “Tools for High Impact Investing in Puerto Rico” sponsored by Grupo Guayacán, Inc. in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he discussed the Puerto Rico Private Equity Funds Act.
- January 2016 — He participated in a panel at the BCMG Tax Incentives Conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he discussed the Puerto Rico Private Equity Funds Act.
November 2018 — He participated in a panel at the Blue Ocean International Bank 2nd Annual Conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he discussed certain banking and securities laws as they relate to international financial entities under the Puerto Rico International Financial Center Regulatory Act.
He is a member of the Board of Directors of Sociedad de Educación y Rehabilitación de Puerto Rico, Inc. (SER de Puerto Rico), a Puerto Rico non-profit corporation that, among other functions, provides education and physical rehabilitation services to disabled children. It is the only center of its kind in Puerto Rico.
- Puerto Rico counsel to Wren House Infrastructure in the legal due diligence of a combined-cycle natural gas-fired cogeneration facility of approximately 507 megawatts as part of the US$550 million investment by the Kuwait Investment Authority for a 25% stake in Global Power Generation, the global electricity generation business of Spanish gas and electricity group Gas Natural Fenosa.
- Counsel to Parliament Capital Management LLC in the organization, structuring and offering of one of the first private equity funds organized under the Puerto Rico Private Equity Funds Act.
- Counsel to Oriental Bank in several multimillion dollar transactions involving the sale of several portfolios of mortgage servicing rights, non-performing mortgage and commercial loans, and foreclosed real estate assets to Scotiabank Puerto Rico, RNPM LLC, DLJ Mortgage Capital, Inc., and Triangle Finance Holdings PR, LLC.
- Counsel to Acrecent Financial Corporation in its private capital raise and restructuring, the renewal of its credit facilities, and the expansion of its operations in Central America and the Caribbean.
- Counsel to AIF Capital Management LLC in the organization, structuring and offering of a private equity fund under the Puerto Rico Private Equity Funds Act.
- Puerto Rico counsel to OFG Bancorp (NYSE: OFG) in its capital raises and acquisition of the Puerto Rico operations of Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. (NYSE: BBVA) for $500 million.
- Underwriters’ counsel in the public offerings of several series of senior notes of Government Development Bank for Puerto Rico in the aggregate principal amount of $4.6 billion.
- Underwriters’ counsel in the public offerings of government facilities revenue and refunding bonds of Puerto Rico Public Buildings Authority in the aggregate principal amount of $785 million.
- Puerto Rico counsel to OFG Bancorp (NYSE: OFG) in several public offerings of its common stock and serial preferred stock.
- Puerto Rico counsel to Oriental Bank in its FDIC-assisted acquisition of Eurobank Puerto Rico.
- Counsel to Enterprise Holdings in its acquisition of the Puerto Rico vehicle rental business of Duffy International Corporation.
- Counsel to Grupo Guayacan, Inc., in the organization and offering of Guayacan Fund of Funds III, L.P.
- Counsel to Oriental Bank in its offering of $105 million principal amount of senior notes guaranteed under the FDIC’s Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program.