Manuel joined the firm’s corporate group in 2003 and became a member in 2013. Since joining the firm, he has focused his practice on various areas, including mergers and acquisitions, commercial lending, commercial leasing, real estate development, renewable energy projects, Act 75 principal-distributor issues, cable and telecommunications law, and general corporate law. Manuel has worked with buyers and sellers in asset and equity transactions, lenders and borrowers in commercial lending and workout transactions, developers and joint ventures in the development of mixed-use projects, principals and distributors in connection with Act 75 issues, project owners in commercial and office leasing transactions, and developers in the acquisition, financing, and development of renewable energy projects. Chambers and Partners, in its Latin America 2018 Edition, identified Manuel as an “up-and-coming partner” who “stands out to clients for his high-quality service, with sources praising ‘his thorough understanding of our business, and his willingness and ability to work diligently through complex transactions in a short amount of time.’”
- Represented MidOcean Partners in its acquisition of the cable company serving the San Juan metropolitan area, and in the subsequent sale to Liberty Cable.
- Represented the seller in the sale of Borschow Hospital Medical & Supplies to Cardinal Health.
- Represented Coca-Cola Puerto Rico Bottlers in its various acquisitions of other businesses and assets.
- Represented an affiliate of Coca-Cola Puerto Rico Bottlers in its acquisition of a 100-acre manufacturing facility from GlaxoSmithKline.
- Represented Puerto Rico Coffee Roasters in its various acquisitions of coffee manufacturing and distribution companies, including Yaucono, Café Crema, Alto Grande, and Encantos.
- Represented Stonemor Partners in its acquisition of eight cemeteries and funeral homes in Puerto Rico.
- Represented a group of local investors in their acquisition of BTB Corporation, the second largest asphalt importer in Puerto Rico.
- Represented Sonnedix in the acquisition, development, and financing of a 10-MW solar photovoltaic energy project in Puerto Rico.
- Represented HIMA in its acquisition of a local hospital.
- Represented a local developer in its acquisition of an interest in a mixed-use resort development in the British Virgin Islands and the negotiation of joint venture and shareholders’ agreements among the partners.
- Represented Puerto Rico Housing Finance Authority in establishing a housing subsidy program and acted as bond counsel in the bond issue to finance such program.
- Acted as local counsel to Comcast in its acquisition of a controlling stake in NBC Universal.
- Acted as local counsel to Warner Chilcott in its acquisition of Procter & Gamble’s prescription drug business.
- Acted as local counsel to Devicor Medical Products in its acquisition of a business division from Johnson & Johnson.
- Acted as local counsel to Marianne USPR, Inc. in its sale of its Marianne retail clothing stores in Puerto Rico.
- As bond counsel, have represented various municipalities in their issuance of bonds and other debt instruments.
- Represent the owner of a major mixed-use project on all leasing matters.