During the past year, our litigation practice group has been engaged in significant matters. We are pleased to share some of those engagements:
· Co-Lead Counsel to major telecom company in 2 consumer class actions in PR Courts, alleging 2 types of excess charges.
· Lead regional counsel to Major League Baseball; responsible for referring and supervising counsel in México, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panamá, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Curaçao, Dominican Republic, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Czech Republic, China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.
· Lead Counsel before the U.S. District Court for the District P.R. defending against putative class action for alleged breach of contract and of fiduciary duty, in relation with the sale and distribution of various closed-end funds. Case was successfully transferred to New York, where PMA is co-counsel to New York counsel on Puerto Rico law issues.
· Counsel to a laboratory in connection with Civil Rico class action in involving the alleged purchase of non-complaint fuel oil by the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority.
· Counsel to major international media company in libel action brought by an individual before USDC. Successfully had the case dismissed on motion to dismiss. Case is pending appeal before U.S. Court of Appeals (First Circuit).
· Co-counsel in putative toxic tort class action filed in Puerto Rico, which is part of U.S. District Court MDL proceedings. Obtained Partial Summary judgment based on statute of limitations under Puerto Rico law based on oral argument before USDC for Southern District of NY.
· Counsel in over 75 active securities arbitration cases before FINRA.
· Lead Counsel in putative class action by public employees, claiming losses to their pension plan benefits in relation with bonds issued by the Puerto Rico Retirement System.
· Representing client before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals challenging a National Labor Relations Board Majority Order (2-1) regarding a non-union approved strike that the company argues was a wildcat strike.
· Counsel to a major institutional client in several copyright infringement suits.
· Counsel to several clients in connection with electronically stored information compliance and corporate investigations.
· Counsel to petrol company in connection with major explosion and fire at a tank farm. Court recently sided with client’s position that case should not be tried before a jury, but rather as a bench trial.
· Successfully defended client in several federal cases involving Airway Improvement Act and FAA Grant Assurances.
· Successfully defended opposition to petition of writ of certiorari before U.S. Supreme Court in an ERISA case involving promissory estoppel claims.
· Advising several clients in connection with the legal framework of U.S.-Cuba relations.
· Responsible for obtaining precedent setting case rejecting rebus sic stantibus as a defense to collection action under loan agreement.
· Represented client in the only patent infringement claim out of a group that was successfully transferred to the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, resulting in the voluntary dismissal of the complaint.